Monday, June 28, 2010

First Two Weeks




Two weeks ago I started my journey to New Orleans. It started out with 3 days of driving through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Louisiana. Along the way we stopped at Carlsbad Caverns, Various BBQ restraunts, the Alamo and finally New Orleans! We arrived on a Wednesday and went to the Oak Alley Plantation first which was really amazing, it looks like something outta Gone With the Wind. That afternoon we went to the Confederate Civil War museum and the National D-Day Museum, both which were really cool! The next day Dad, Lexi and I went on a Riverboat Cruise down the mississippi. I felt like something outta a Tom Sawyer novel floating down the water, feeling the breeze and humidity on my face. We arrived at the battlefield where New Orleans was fought for in 1814 to become a city and looking out across the field I could just imagine all the men that died to make this city what it is today. The following day we went to the famous French Quarter. You take a trolley down to it and as you ride down you begin to see the rod iron fencing on the buildings and begin to hear jazz music float through the air. It really is like everything you see and read about. The French Market is full of masks, mardi gras beads, African culture, lots and lots of seafood, beignets which are these amazing french pastries that are fluffy and covered in powder sugar and lots of people. People from every walk of life are here in this city. It truly is a melting pot of society. Everywhere you look there is still remnants of the Saint's Super Bowl victory! Even on the tv's in walmart they repeats of the game are still playing. On Friday the next day I moved in all my stuff into my new room at the intern apartment. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths, pretty big living room and kitchen. It's a nice place and I have gotten to know my roommates over the past week, they are all really nice! Saturday we went back to the French Quarter and Market so we could look around at the different streets we hadn't gone on. There is sooo much to see in this city! Traffic is crazy here by the way..I'm so glad dad drove around all day. On Sunday we went to the huge aquarium here and than one last quick stop at the French Market so dad and lexi could pick up a few last souvenirs and than I dropped them off at the airport. All at once it hit me, I was totally alone in this city where I know no one and have never even visited before. I started to cry and then a good friend reminded me no matter where I go I am not alone. I have a God who is with me in the passenger seat, driving with me around town, walking along the hospital halls with me, laying down to sleep at night..everywhere. This was the beginning of my first week at Children's Hospital. I did alot of orientation stuff the first day but then on Tuesday I began to follow my supervisor Music Therapist around the hospital and watched her with patients all day long. The hospital is a wonderful, colorful place that really has a heart for the children. All the therapists I work with are great with the children. This week has been a emotional roller coaster because some of the children I see each day are so sick and hurt, things have happened to them that should never happen to a child. Every patient seems to have a sad story when you first meet them, but the great thing is, I am already seeing these sad children come back to life through the music therapy we are doing with them! To see a child in the hospital smile again for the first time since they were admitted is something I will never forget. Already I have fallen in love with the kids. They each are so sweet and loving! After this next week when my co-worker leaves I will be running a music group each day for the toddlers on the floors that I am really excited about! God is so amazing and to see him working in these children's lives is incredible. I am so thankful for this opportunity to be his hands and feet at Children's Hospital. Continue to pray for the children at the hospital that healing would come for them and pray for me that God continues to give me the strength to work with these kids everyday the next 6 months! Love and miss you all so much!!

Tacy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment